Sunday, April 26, 2009

Home Stretch

A few years ago we lived in Hawaii right around the corner from my parents. Aaron worked two jobs and I worked from home. We were happy. 2 1/2 years into our stay Aaron decided that he wanted to go back to school. I was a little shocked but knew that he might decide someday to go back..I just never knew when or where. Well, he decided to apply to Utah State University. It would take us back to his home state and the USU had the program he was interested in pursuing. He put in his application and we didn't hear back for a long time. Finally, in July of 2005, the school sent back a letter saying that he was accepted and the search was on for housing, jobs, and a flight out there. We were excited, nervous, and also sad to leave.

At the end of July of 2005 we arrived in Cache Valley. Luckily, there was a last minute availability in married student apartments and we were able to move in a few weeks after arriving. Finding a job was quite the adventure but Aaron persevered. At one point, he was working a full-time job to ensure that I could stay home with our children. He was only able to carry 6-9 credits at the time. I remember when he came back from one of his first meetings with his Academic Advisor; the plan they had mapped out had him graduating in Spring of 2011....it was the first time I felt dread over our move, BUT I knew that with a degree our family would be better off.

I'll spare you all the other 'fun' details and cut to the chase ~ next week Saturday, all of A's hard work, sleepless nights, working graveyard shift to pay our bills so he could go to school during the day, etc. is finally paying off ~ Aaron is graduating!!! I can't believe we're coming up on graduation day, and way ahead of schedule too!! I couldn't be more proud! I know a lot of times he felt like he was too old to be back on a college campus, attending classes with all the young 20somethings. He may have even wondered if all of his efforts would pay off in the end. Well let me just end by saying it has!! Aaron did an internship last summer in Wyoming. He worked at FMC (a company that mines trona), and they really enjoyed working with him. Aaron was able to secure a job at the end of August last year. He starts work on May 11. We are blessed.

I know Aaron will read this and say "Oh Brother!" Like most people, the man doesn't like to toot his own horn let alone let his wife do it so I can already tell that he'll be rolling his eyes and looking for a way to delete this but I just had to find a way to express my gratitude for such a great husband, dad, and best friend! We're in the Home Stretch A! I'm glad that our three little monkeys and I were able to be here to cheer you on and offer you encouragement, comic relief, and probably more than a little bit of stress, in this part of your journey in life. You're our Hero and we are proud of you!!!!

26 comments:

EmmaP said...

thanks for sharing! of course I had to cry over it. not only because you being proud of your hubby made me proud of your hubby, but the move, and the memories, and because it is like 2:32 in the freakin morning and i am dead tired, and will cry over everything when i am tired... anyway - way to go aaron... and for gosh-pickin-sakes! let yer wife toot yer horn every now again! besides - it's really the only thing of yours she can toot in public! lol! way to go!!! ;)

Let the party begin... said...

Kudos to you all and congratulations to Aaron. That is so inspiring especially with Darren going back to school at the age of 44(he turns 44 tomorrow). I love how you both worked together to achieve your dreams. Thanks for sharing a little piece of your joy with us. Can't wait to see the updates with this new chapter of your life beginning.

chicagosapps said...

Yay Aaron! And Ardis! I know how wonderful it is to be done. Good luck on the new job! When are you moving?

*Katie* said...

That's so huge!! Graduating is such a big deal (I'll feeling serious jealousy!) But ahead of schedule? Way to go, Aaron! We're going to miss you guys ;)

tnralvords said...

Awww! We love you guys and you will be missed. Conrats to A-ron!!! I am excited for you to move and start your journey in Wyoming. Even though I am a little jealous of the moving on part.

CMK5 LINDSEY said...

We know just how your ohana is feeling!!!! We're tons excited for you guys! Hugest congratulations to Aaron and your ohana! The road is rough for the the whole family, but it does pay off. I'm only sad that you'll be leaving (SOON!)and I only saw you guys once. Shucks! Best wishes with the move and we love you guys.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

You are moving to Wyoming? Wow. I didn't realize you were done this year. I think you are my last friend from The Village to move. It makes me feel like we've been away a really long time.

denedu said...

I still can't believe that so much time has gone by. I still remember when David was with the boys at the park and met you. He came back and said..."You've got to meet this gal. You'd really like her." You know what? He was right! Even sillier...I'm really tearing up writing this. I am soooooooooooooo gonna miss you, chickadee! I've had such great times with you guys. I know we'll meet up again once you are all settled in your new home. And I KNOW things will be great for you where ever you are. That's how you roll, right??? :) Love you, Ardy!!! And a big CONGRATS to Aaron for hammering it out! You're awesome! :)

Rachel said...

OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! WAHOOO!!! I'm so excited for you! You've done your time there for sure! Congrats, that is SOOOOOOO exciting!!!

Crystal said...

This is huge! Aaron should let you brag about him for a bit, every now and then. Congrats to him. What an exciting journey you have been on. Enjoy the next chapter!

Angie said...

Wahoo!! Congrats Aaron!! You need to be proud about this and let your family be proud also!! This a SUCH a big deal! I am excited for you guys, good luck in Wyoming!! We hope to see you every now and then!!

The Rashall Family said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and your family. We are going to miss you guys.

Trent Megan and Kids said...

woot woot!! Congrats to you both on accomplishing this amazing goal! I am way sad to have you leave but know we will still be great friends. Loved being a part of your life hear in Logan!!!

lishajeanne said...

so where are you moving next? FMC is all over where I live!

Alicia said...

Congratulations Aaron!! And family!! And this is a once in a lifetime event and so some horn tooting is definately in order!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to the whole family. I know what a sacrifice that is for all of you! I'm glad Aaron has a wonderful, supportive wife to help him meet his goals. Way to go, Baby Dog! You've come a long way!

Marianne said...

Wahoo! Congratulations on a job well done, Aaron. We're so happy for you.

Dang you, Ardis...you made me cry with that sweet post.

What's your moving time frame? We need to have a BIG farewell par-tay!

Melanie said...

Congrats!! We are sure going to miss you guys! On to bigger and better things!

Maren said...

Ho, nah, you're still alive! ;) Kidding. Congrats to Aaron! It's like he's graduating early! That must have been a TON of hard work!! Congrats to you all!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! It sounds like he's definitely worked hard and you guys deserve this! I'm looking forward to finding out how you like your new life after he starts the job! I'll be sure and check back on you! Take care!

HaYn Mama said...

Yay for A!!! We'll see yah on Saturday!

tearese said...

Congratulations you guys! It is so hard to go to school with a whole family to support (Don't we know it!) But I'm glad you made it.
We're going to miss you!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful news! Good for Aaron. It's so nice to have the hubby graduated and all pau with school. Rex just graduated last week.

So us Kauai girls are moving on huh...no more Utah for us... for awhile at least. You're off to Wyoming and I'm off to Califoria in like 4ish weeks. Hopefully one day we'll see each other at home in Kekaha ward.
Aloha and CONGRATS!
Pume

Dennis & Hollie said...

Bravo!!! Standing Ovation!!! The roar of the crowd! I am so proud of BOTH of you! It is not easy going to school and working full time...and it's not easy to send your husband to school and work and raise three children! You both deserve a round of applause and a big hug. Aaron, you deserve all of the praise and admiration you get! You've earned it! Ardis, I love you, my bean...You will always be "MY BEAN". You have been such an example and an inspiration to me since the second we met. I can't wait to see where the road will take us next and what adventures lie ahead. Love and aloha!!! Dennis and Hollie

Yolanda said...

Alooha!
This is Aunty Yolanda and Uncle Joe Blevins...got on Nat's site and saw your blog on it. The children are gorgeous! Congrats to Aaron and to you for all the home support. Nat just got into San Fran yesterday. We'll be visiting this summer. Wherever your journey may lead you...how blessed are the people you come to know. We love you all very much!!!

Trace said...

Good luck to you all and congratulations. I am going back to school too and feel a little dread about being so much older than the little freshmen.